*Updated Jan 18, 2021
Does anyone else find it tough to find a good CLEAN, natural mascara? I feel like this is a tough one for the clean beauty industry.
I have taken the time and invested in various different clean and natural mascaras to test and see how they hold up throughout the day and even with a little water splashed on the face – there is nothing worse than mascara running down your face or giving you raccoon eyes throughout the day!
There are many mascaras I have tried. As a result, I have decided to share my top 5 to help you! I will work on a list of ones I wasn’t a fan of and continue trying other brands and update this post as I go! Until then, I hope you find this helpful. Enjoy!
1. Elate Cosmetics Essential Mascara
This has been my go-to mascara for quite some time now. I love the wand that it comes with and the eco-friendly bamboo packaging. It goes on nicely, buildable and stays put throughout the day.
Elate is also a BC company based in Victoria and they strive to provide clean cosmetics with earth friendly packaging to those looking for safer alternatives. They are cruelty free, vegan, toxin free and gluten free! Here are the ingredients:
- Aqua (Water), Oryza Sativa Wax (Rice Bran Wax), Olea Europea Fruit Oil (Olive Oil), Vegetable Source Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut),Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba Wax), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla Wax), Vegetable Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Acacia Gum, Black Iron Oxide (CI 77499), Aminomethyl Popandiol (Ph Adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative).
2. Pure Anada Mascara
This easily made it to my top mascaras due to it’s incredible ingredients, consistency and wear. It is naturally paraben-free, gluten-free, and mercury-free.
You will be amazed at how well this mascara builds volume and length to your lashes.
I am actually not the biggest fan of the wand and would prefer more eco friendly packaging, however the formula is really nice.
- Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Oryza Sativa Wax (Rice Bran Wax), Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Coernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Vegetable Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Acacia Gum, CI 77499 (Iron Oxide), Aminomethyl Popandiol, Phenoxyethanol
This is the most recent one I have tried that I love.
Made with natural fibers, this advanced formula increases volume by 385%* to create fuller, more dramatic-looking lashes. The hourglass brush curls, separates, and plumps for high-drama glam–without clumping, flaking or smudging. Cleaner, plant-derived ingredients, like carnauba wax and rice bran wax, replace harmful emollients, while bataua oil helps soften lashes.
One thing I’d like to point out with this mascara is there is a trick to getting the best results from it. In fact, most natural mascaras have a wax base and warming them up will help the formula go on nicer. For this particular one, I swipe the tip of the wand across my lashes then apply as normal afterwards to spread the product out. This gives the most volume!
Vegan, EWG certified and leaping bunny certified. Click here to shop.
Here’s the ingredients:
- Aqua/Water/Eau, Cera Microcristallina/Microcrystalline Wax/Cire microcristalline, Acrylates Copolymer, Glyceryl Behenate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Palmitic Acid, Cera Carnauba/Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Cire de carnauba, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Cellulose, Methylpropanediol, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Water, Aminomethyl Propanediol, Acacia Senegal Gum, Dimethicone, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Rosa Centifolia Flower Wax, Jasminum Grandiflorum (Jasmine) Flower Wax, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Citrate, Myristic Acid, Stearic Acid, Rosa Damascena Flower Wax, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Oenocarpus Bataua Fruit Oil
4. Pacifica Stellar Gaze Mascara
This mascara I picked up at a Shoppers Drug Mart and I am very impressed with it! 100% vegan and cruelty free. A great non-toxic alternative available at the drug store!
This company is based in the US so online shopping is in US dollars, you’re better off looking for it locally in Canada. Here is a list of their ingredients:
- AQUA, GLYCERIN (VEGETABLE), GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, JOJOBA ESTERS, TAPIOCA STARCH, STEARIC ACID ( VEGETABLE), COPERNICIA CERFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX, ARABIC/ACACIA GUM, ACRYLATES, CROSSPOLYMER, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULSE (PLANT), COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL, PANTHENOL (VITAMIN B), CELLULOSE GUM, GLUCONOLACTONE, MACROCYSTIS PYIFERA (BROWN KELP) EXTRACT, HYDROLYZED ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) PROTEIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, IRON OXIDES C1 77499
This mascara goes on so nicely with a buildable formula that doesn’t clump. I love the silicone wand that separates the lashes so well.
This is a smudge free and vegan formula that will stay on all day and night. However, skip this one for any emotional events as it does tend to run with water and tears. Washes off easily with water at the end of the day!
This company is vegan, cruelty free and EU certified. Click here to shop.
Let’s check out the ingredients!
- Aqua, Glycerin, Myrica Pubescens Fruit Wax*, CI 77499, Diheptyl succinate, Copernicia Cerifera Wax*, Stearic acid, Euphorbia Cerifera Cera*, Pullulan, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetearyl glucoside, Acacia Senegal Gum, Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Sorbitan Oleate Decylglucoside Crosspolymer, Phenethyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Glyceryl Caprylate, Sodium chloride, Sodium hydroxide, Sodium carbonate.
* Certified organic (pesticide free) ingredient
I would love to try more out, if you have a natural, clean mascara recommendation, please let me know email@example.com!!
Why natural mascara? What’s so bad in mascara?
To start, carbon black.
- Carbon black
- D&c black no.2
- Acetylene black
- Channel black
- Furnace black
- Lamp black
- Thermal black